Moving Mountains® Sticky Meatballs
- Serves 4
- Prep Time 15 mins
- Cook Time 40 mins
- 20 Moving Mountains® Meatballs
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 banana shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 50g ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 sticks lemon grass, trimmed, crushed with the knife handle and finely sliced
- ½ / ¼ red chilli, seeds removed, finely sliced
- 350g vegetable stock
- 200g water
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tbsp rice flour/corn starch
- 1 lime
- 300g sushi rice
- 1 cucumber, cut into 2 cm chunks
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp rice wine or cider vinegar
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp rapeseed oil
- 160g broccoli, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
- ½ red chilli, seeds removed and finely sliced
- 1 tbsp fried onions
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C / 160°C.
2. Start with preparing the sticky sauce. Warm up the rapeseed oil in a medium size heavy base saucepan over a medium heat. Add the garlic, shallots, ginger, lemon grass and chilli and sweat for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Turn down the heat and add a splash of water, if you notice that the mixture starts to brown. Add the stock and water, then the maple syrup and soy sauce. Bring the sauce to a boil and simmer on a low heat for 15 minutes.
4. Cook the meatballs. Spread them out on a small oven tray lined with baking parchment and bake for 10 minutes, until slightly browned.
5. Make the cucumber salad. In a mixing bowl whisk together the soy sauce, sesame oil and vinegar. Add the cucumbers, stir and sprinkle the sesame seeds over.
6. Warm up the rapeseed oil in a heavy base large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the broccoli and fry, shaking the pan occasionally, for 2-3 minutes, until they brown slightly. Add the soy sauce and stir again with a wooden spoon.
7. Strain the sauce and pour it back to the saucepan. Add 2 tablespoons to a small bowl and mix with the rice flour, until all the lumps disappear. Add the thickener to your sauce and stir, until well combined.
8. Add the meatballs in and cook for another 5 minutes or more, if you think the sauce is not thick enough. Stir continuously. Taste and season with a squeeze of lime and more soy sauce or maple syrup, if needed.
9. Time to serve. Put the rice into 4 bowls, top with the broccoli, sticky meatballs, spring and fried onions. Serve with the cucumber salad on side.