Moving Mountains® Hot Dog Spring Rolls
- Serves Makes 4 large or 8 canape-size Spring Rolls
- Prep Time 25 mins
- Cook Time 20 mins
- 4 Moving Mountains® Hot Dogs, defrosted
- 60g thin rice vermicelli noodles
- 1 tsp rapeseed oil
- 1 banana shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and julienned
- 50g peanuts, crushed
- Light soy sauce
- 4 large spring roll wrappers
- 1 tbsp sriracha sauce or other chilli sauce
- ½ tsp maple syrup
- 0.5 L sunflower oil for frying
- 4 baby gem lettuce leaves
- Mix of herbs: mint leaves, coriander springs, chives
1. Start with preparing the Hot Dogs. Follow the instructions on the packet and when the Hot Dogs are cooked, remove the wrappers.
2. Bring a medium size saucepan of water to a boil and add the noodles in. Boil for 4 minutes, drain and rinse with cold water. Put the noodles on a chopping board and cut in half.
3. Prepare the rest of the filling. Warm up the rapeseed oil in a medium size frying pan over a medium heat. Add the shallot and stir for a minute. Add the garlic, carrot and peanuts and fry for another 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the noodles and soy sauce and stir again until all the ingredients are well combined.
4. Add the sunflower oil to a deep, medium size saucepan and warm up over a medium heat. Heat to about 160°C.
5. To make the spring rolls, place one sheet of the pastry in front of you, so the pointy ends are on the top, bottom, left and right. Spoon ¼ of the noodle mixture over the bottom section and top with one hot dog, trying to achieve a cylinder shape, about 5 inches long. Fold in the left and right ends, then cover the filling with the bottom one and roll tightly towards the top. Brush the edge of the top end with some water and seal. Repeat this with the remaining 3 sheets.
6. When the oil is hot enough, drop 2 spring rolls in. Fry for 1 minute, then turn and fry for another 2 minutes. Transfer the spring rolls onto a piece of kitchen roll. Repeat the frying with another 2 rolls.
7. Make the dipping sauce, simply mixing all the ingredients together.
8. To serve, place the 4 baby gem leaves on a big plate and top each of the leaves with herbs. Place the spring rolls on top of the leaves, so you can easily wrap the leaf around the roll and dip in the sauce. Enjoy!
NOTE: For canape-size spring rolls, cut each roll in half or use a smaller size of wrappers.